Re: The Informed Patient: The Battle Against Superbugs Needs SomeRecruits: Patients

John,

on 10/2/02 6:00 PM, Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) at jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov

wrote:

> Ted,

> What data are you referring to?  I hope you are not referring to the single

> reference the Jim Muckerheide posted in January 2002 on radiation to

> treating gas gangrene, and I commented on.   See

No. It's the 2,000 other papers 1896-1996 on treating infections that you

haven't read either! :-)  Your "comments" didn't address even that one

paper. See e.g., Berk and Hodes 1991, Medline for ref.  (BTW, hyperbaric

therapy generally isn't very successful, just costly/profitable. 25%

mortality for gas gangrene, vs. 5% for irradiation, too cheap for FDA.)

Regards, Jim