Re: "Limit to Survival - Effect of Radiation

on 10/4/02 11:19 AM, RuthWeiner@AOL.COM at RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

> Around 1960-61, obstetricians stopped routinely x-raying the fetus at term

> (to detect breech presentation).

Do you have data anywhere except in Chicago? (Oppenheim, Chicago lying-in

hospital, 1974 - Only fetal exposure with no medical reason I'm aware of,

unlike Alice Stewart et al.)

> I am not making a case for or against any of these uses of x-ray, and I

> myself  believe that they were a prudent exercise of an ALARA sort of

> practice (e.g., when the risk from annual chest x-ray appears to exceed the

> risk of tuberculosis, one doesn't require the x-ray any more).  I just wonder

> if there is not enough data available for any of these or similar situations

> to draw some conclusions about either harm from exposure or hormesis.

Yes, very much (a lot presented here over the last 5 years). Luckey, Henry,

Kondo, the RSH "Data Docs" summarize 100s of studies in the science

literature, esp. those NOT selected by BEIR/NCRP et al., (following FDA/NRC

starting in '36 - first report by Edna Johnson, U. Colorado, selecting data

to ignore the then current literature (1896-1936) including the work of her

own thesis advisor at Wisc.) See, e.g., Calabrese and Baldwin re "The Demise

of a Legitimate Hypothesis" etc. The literature is still there. Nobody made

it up. (Some may be "lost" in indexes?)

See e.g., Roz Yalow, ANS '94, '95 and '96 and other writings presenting such

data! e.g., Linos on x-ray histories of Mayor Clinic patients (based on

clinical histories not interviews like Alice Stewart data.)

Unlike BEIR/NCRP we don't ask/expect you to believe us. We ID credible

science and sources you can read yourself! (At least you can read. We're not

too sure about John. :-)

> Ruth

> Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

> ruthweiner@aol.com