Re: AW: Demise of UNSCEAR?

In a message dated 10/4/02 3:42:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time, franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

As far as I understand collective doses are outdated and not used any more in any serious research. I have refused ever since to use them. Any other opinion?

Yes, i have another opinion.  I'm not sure one can say that DOE and NRC environmental assessments are "serious research" but they all report collective doses (as well as MEI doses, accident consequences, etc. ) Collective dose is a good way to compare impacts of different activities (e.g., one transportation route with another.  To forestall some criticism: yes, I know these are based on the LNT and I don't agree with that either, but right now it's the regulation.  Moreover, I don't believe collective doses mean much in the absolute, but they make a reasonable comparison method.

Ruth
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com