RE: WHAT'S NEW Robert L. Park Friday/UV damage

>UV causes skin cancer but UV photons do not have enough energy to break

>bonds, at least not directly. Does anyone know how?

Several types of photoproducts of two adjacent pyrimidines can be formed.

The classical type - the pyrimidine dimers involves a disruption of the

resonance structure (double bonds) in two pyrimidines next two one another.

Then a cyclobutyl ring is formed which in turn may be repaired in several

different ways depending on the organism. These photoproducts (which cause a

nick in DNA) are potentially carcinogenic in mammalians.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com