Re: Gamma Irradiators

a) Today there are more than 200, as we can learn at

http://www.iaea.or.at/worldatom/Press/Newsbriefs/1994/newsv09n4.html

"Other applications reviewed at the conference included the use of radiation

technologies for sterilizing packaged medical supplies and related products.

Worldwide, more than 40% of these products presently are being sterilized

using radiation technology, it was reported, with 180 gamma irradiators and

about 20 electron beam accelerators in service around the world. Radiation

sterilization is now a major technology for the manufacture of sterile

health care products. More information may be obtained from the IAEA

Division of Human Health and its Division of Industrial Applications and

Chemistry"

Also there are 2 IAEA Manual in very simple language

Manual on gamma self-contained irradiators (Categories I and III) (Rev. 1)

IAEA-PRSM-7

Manual on panoramic gamma irradiators (Categories II and IV) (Rev. 1)

IAEA-PRSM-8

Also a Safety Guide for Regulatory Authory and User

RADIATION SAFETY OF GAMMA AND ELECTRON IRRADIATION FACILITIES, Safety Series

107  (1992)

To specific question I suggest write to

Mr. Lothar Wedekind, Chief Editor, IAEA Division of Public Information

L.Wedekind@iaea.org <L.Wedekind@iaea.org>

ask him the two Manual I think is free of charge

I have among my files an IAEA doc - Facts about food irradiation 1.20 MB, 53

pages in pdf format if you are interested I can send to you.

Besides IAEA, GO TO

b)Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI). Very interesting page on general overview

the uses os radioactive material.

www.nei.org/doc.asp?catnum=3&catid=191

There you will find -  Irradiation and radiation processing (180 gamma

irradiators in the world)

c) Nordion homepage http://www.mds.nordion.com/

Nordion is the leading supplier of gamma irradiation technology used in

medical and industrial applications worldwide.

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel