Re: radiation exposure at st lucie

on 10/13/02 11:06 AM, Norman Cohen at ncohen12@comcast.net wrote:

> Yo Rasafers.

> This was just an article I came across. Clearly the article lacks details. But

> I'm sure that someone on this list has additional information, is perhaps an

> employee at St. Lucie.

> My guess is that "Federal officials" would NOT be investigating if this were

> just a trivial dose exposure.

> Norm

To the contrary, "Federal officials" (and IAEA, etc.) have virtually nothing

else to do, and take these opportunities to push their "radiation risk"

fiction. NRC "investigation" will attack or pass on St. Lucie on "management

failures" (depending on St. Lucie mgmt subservience?), for doses that are

trivial compared to background/medical doses (that demonstrate no "risk").

(If there were actual "risks" at low doses, nuclear medicine and

radiologists would be mass-murderers.)

Chasing moonbeams and harassing licensees is their "mission," keeps their

funds coming. "Unnecessary" medical doses are much greater, but aren't

pursued. (Not misadministrations. :-)

Regards, Jim

>> That's all very interesting, Norman, but it doesn't tell us WHAT the dose

>> was.

>> What dose were these workers actually exposed to?

>> Was it as much as a transcontinental flight?

>> Was it as much as a dental X-ray?

>> Are they glowing in the dark?

>> ALARA is a great goal, but if it wasn't ALARA did it do any harm?

>> Forwarding popular press articles to a technical list is of limited utility

>> in my opinion. Press articles with mis- and dis- information, especially

>> when the most egregious of these are aggregated, are a major cause of some

>> of the unwarranted fears we have of nuclear technology.

>> I would hope that while the UNPLUG SALEM campaign has a very obvious stated

>> goal, accurate reporting of technical details should not be sacrificed to

>> your goal.

>> There are some warranted fears of the technology, and Davis-Besse and the

>> management and regulatory failures are good examples of what can

>> organizationally go wrong, but this was a step to correct that, as I read

>> between the lines.

>> Thanks!

>> Richard

>>>                                                              [Image]

>>>              [Image]

>>> --

>>> Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr

>>> Ave., Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8583 or 609-601-8537;

>>> ncohen12@comcast.net  UNPLUG SALEM WEBSITE:

>>> http://www.unplugsalem.org/  COALITION FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE WEBSITE:

>>> http://www.coalitionforpeaceandjustice.org   The Coalition for Peace and

>>> Justice is a chapter of Peace Action.

>>> "First they ignore you; Then they laugh at you; Then they fight you;

>>> Then you win. (Gandhi) "Why walk when you can fly?"  (Mary Chapin

>>> Carpenter)

>>> radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject line.