Re: St. Lucie exposures

Et al,

If the exposures were in the range of a few mrem, I cannot fathom how it

would be a regulatory issue, unless a "safety significant radiation exposure

or technical specification control" failed.

Baring the aforementioned, here is my take on the issue (without much

information to the contrary):

I see things haven't change much since my days as an inspector with the NRC.

Its a "knee jerk reaction" from below the NRC's Regional Administrator (RA)

by middle management that may not have a firm grasp on real operational

health physics issues.  Once the RA inquires as to the seriousness of the

incident the reaction can go several ways, but most times, they (middle

management) elect to send an inspector down for showing the flag, and get

brownie points from upper management for the foresight to conduct a

"reactive inspection".  No matter how versed the inspector is in the

going-on's at the plant and the level of confidence the inspector has in the

plant's radiological protection staff, he is generally out voted on picking

up on the incident during the next scheduled inspection.    Inaction by the

regulator, even though the facts of the case are clearly known and no

egregious violations of regulations has occurred, is an aspect that weighs

heavily on the regulators when considering the expected response (flack)

from those (Congressional, local anti's, national anti's, senior NRC

management, etc.) critiquing the RA's performance regarding the situation.

Action, though unwarranted, is rarely found in disfavor.  I have personally

been involved in several responses that could have been critiqued in the

office and written up as a no-never-mind, but NRC management cannot fathom

anyone understanding a situation without a visit to the incident site.  It

really a case of management's trust in the inspectors knowledge of the

situation and the health physics ability of the licensee.  Which, no matter

how many platitudes the inspector or the plants has received in the area of

health physics, it all falls through the cracks when nervous managers

(lacking in good health physics knowledge) must convince upper managers

(with very little health physics experience) that all is okay and the

incident can be followed up during the next scheduled inspection.  This is

the typical reason why a site visit is conducted for a trivial exposure.

Not to say that other  pressures, to numerous to detail, are at work forcing

the unnecessary expenditure of the limited health physics resources in the

NRC.

The NRC's regulatory program does a very good job overall, but sometimes

gets caught up in the minutia of the "what if" world of Norm and Susan, and

the philosophy that "they are doing something wrong - find it".   This

attitude is a hold over from the 70's and early 80's when things were less

than adequate at many plants/facilities in the HP arena.  For the most part

large nuclear facilities are conducting their HP ops in a first class

manner, concentrating on the big ticket items that can get them in serious

trouble.  The amount of procedures to maintain and implement, personnel to

training, interfacing with internal and external regulators, and response to

anti-nuke assertions of  harm, is immense and a never ending pressure on the

plant staff.  Most jobs conducted during an outage are recurring, and have

been revised and improved upon each time it is done.  The ALARA staff at a

plant is constantly looking for ways to improve the plant's performance on a

job (worker efficiency and exposure).

I was once told by a Deputy Regional Administrator that 1st level

supervision (Branch Chiefs) need not be technically versed in the area they

are supervising.   The meeting came about when a person with a PhD in metal

sciences, and no practical HP experience was promoted to Branch Chief in the

Nuclear Materials Safety Division (well, it is nuclear "materials")

supervising HP inspectors.

Well, enough of my musings.

H. Dean Chaney, CHP

"In science there is only physics; everything else is stamp collecting."

                                      --Ernest Rutherford