Re: Senate Bill to:"Protect America Against Nuclear andRadiological Terror"

Stewart -

I'm sure that the esteemed Senators "meant" industrial radiography equipment (sometimes referred to as "industrial X-ray"), but I'm sure that distinction will be lost on the public.

Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with your synopsis of the press release ... and I can hardly wait to read the language itself. I'll check the Thomas website every day or so until it shows up.

Jim Hardeman
Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Stewart Farber <farbersa@optonline.net> 10/17/2002 16:48:09 >>>
A link is supplied below to a well-intentioned bipartisan bill just introduced in the US Senate by Sen.
Biden, Clinton, Schumer, and others intended to: "Protect America Against Nuclear and Radiological
Terror":

http://foreign.senate.gov/press/02/021016.html

Unfortunately, the press release by Sen. Biden on the bill's release contains some unfortunate and
surprisingly inaccurate information making reference to concerns which include "radioactive sources
worldwide -such as certain x-ray equipment......[that] are abandoned or stolen and leak out of the
existing control system."

The use of emotive [and in some ways unintentionally humorous] language by Sen. Biden such as sources
[including x-ray equipment?] that "leak out" of present control systems only further confuses and in some
ways terrorizes the public about this important issue and radiation technologies in general. To the
layman the difference between Co-60 teletherapy units and an x-ray machine may be minor but lets not
confuse matters even more! Referring to sources "leaking" out of "control systems" seems to imply that
liquid sources are flowing down the gutter of American cities everyday into sewers and threatening water
supplies. Powerful imagery, but not very accurate.  The press release by Biden notes:

"Testimony at a Foreign Relations Committee hearing on dirty bombs in March revealed that a weapon using
small amounts of radiological material could, if detonated, create serious economic or psychological
damage in the United States."

Unfortunately, the press release by Sen. Biden could be viewed as contributing to a self-fulfilling
prophecy in that fears of even minute quantities of radioactive material dispersal will lead to actions
such as deciding per the Press Release by Biden that:

"Contaminated buildings within the area of detonation might have to be abandoned, destroyed, and trucked
away as radioactive waste."

The Press Release link cited above notes:  “The threat of radiological terrorism, and even of true
nuclear terror attacks, is real,” Biden said.  “We know that most radiological attacks will kill few
Americans, but we are just as certain that they will be economic crimes of the greatest consequence. We
must do something to head off the nuclear and radiological terrorist threat where it will most likely
first appear.”

Worthwhile goal. But non-inflammatory rhetoric and avoiding emotive and even inaccurate information is
vital if unwise actions are to be avoided in dealing with the threats -- real and perceived that we face
as a nation regarding a "dirty bomb" radiological threat.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
email: farbersa@optonline.net