Re: more st lucie workers expsoed

At 05:06 PM 10/20/2002 -0400, RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/trib_local_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1107_1482702,00
.html

Can someone explain to me why external occupational exposure to 20 to 25 mrem and internal occupational exposure to 1 to 2 mrem are news?

Yes, Ruth,

It's easy.

The lay population is very afraid of nucular (sic) accidents because there is the image of the huge destruction at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the image of the atmospheric testing in the 40s and 50s, the image of Chernobyl ingrained in our minds.

A colleague of mine described trying to explain to a non-scientific person why the new, sharper digital television set showed backgrounds out of focus--because the foreground is now sharper. The explainee couldn't get it, but rather preferred to blame the new set.

If we can't explain depth of field to people, how can we explain nuclear engineering? It's hard to get people to understand basic units of measurement beyond feet, inches, miles, and degrees Fahrenheit.

I have worked fairly hard (yes, I could work harder and understand more) to understand what I've learned from everyone on this list.

I think the one feeling which this type of investigation engenders in the non-scientific mind is "if they can't even get this right, how can we trust them if something really bad happens." We have management oversight problems in many areas. For example Enron, Worldcom, why not have these problems in nuclear power? The D-B non-event showed substantial managerial failures...as did the Challenger.

The one question that I have is that the usual rule is "follow the money" to find out why people have the agendas they do. I'm not sure this is true of the anti-nuclear community...or at least a good portion of it. As I've stated before, I do think that a portion of the anti-nuclear people are virtuous ideologues who believe that this stuff is bad for the world.

What happens is that the science is too complex and the source of the science is sometimes not to be trusted.

I do not know the exact quote from Einstein, but one of my anti-nuclear folksinger friends has a line in one of his songs, "If Einstein says he's scared/I'm scared." So if you're an anti-nuclear person you hear that and take solace from it that your belief is shared by one of the greatest scientific minds...or may come from it.

One other point. The reportage of these event can be made to sound exciting even with the numbers included because people don't understand. For example, if someone stuck their fingers across a D-cell flashlight battery, one could say "Worker exposed to 1.5V which is more than s/he should have been exposed to." Now we all know that we can't even feel the 1.5V on our skin--although a 9V battery on our tongue is rather exciting.

Radiation metrics should always be put in perspective and the article in question did do it, and then went on to report that it was an event none the less.

One has to fill pages with something. Let's continue to fuel the fears of the populace.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@richardhess.com
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography, and
                 broadcast engineering