Re: David Besse Hole is full of questions

In a message dated 10/21/02 9:07:38 AM Mountain Daylight Time, jacobusj@ors.od.nih.gov writes:

I guess the lesson here is that core meltdown did not happen, but could
have.

Do the media cover possible serious traffic accidents, potential explosions at chemical plants, potential serious accidents with fireworks, or potential attacks with guns that "didn't happen but could have?"  I remember reading about ONE airplane near-mishap.

I wouldn't question motives or agendas if this were reported once or twice, but the continuing coverage of something that didn't happen is distortion in the direction of media sensationalism, like the time a WIPP truck missed a freeway exit on I-25 and turned off and around at the next exit (also in a rural area), and made the TV news.

Moreover, this type of coverage feeds the vicious cycle of "popular" misconceptions about the putative dangers of ionizing radiation.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com