Re: Fwd: Davis Besse Hole is full of questions

Norm,

As much as I don't like to admit it, I completely agree with you on this issue.  Another serious nuclear power plant accident anywhere in the world would be the "proverbial last straw" for this industry.

What's really hurting us is not the antinukes.  While they sometimes unfairly exploit public fears, it only works because those fears are there to begin with.

What's really hurting us is those "pronukes" who don't recognize these fears, or  who attempt to ridicule or patronize those with such fears.  They're always quick to scream "media conspiracy," but never seem to look in the mirror at our need for improvement.

For the industry to survive, we have to recognize and accept our need to meet a higher standard.

To all you nuclear apologists out there:  Thanx but no thanx.  We don't need or want you.  There must be some other cause out there that's worthy of your attention.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

Norman Cohen wrote:

Ruth,
Public perception of nukes is different than these other examples you
list. That was implied in my statement but not made clear. It wouldn't
take too much to push public concerns "over the edge". I see it in our
interaction with folks this summer. We table at farm fairs, 4H fairs,
city days, etc. Even accounting for some internal anti-nuke biasa on our
part, large numebrs of people come by our booth to sign unplug salem
petitons, and to express how worried they are about the nukes in their
backyard.
9-11, the KI giveout, the fears that terrorists might attack nukes, Pres
Bush's speech on security, all these things have moved
a public that is already 50-50 on nukes to be more concerned and
worried. A LOCA at DB could well be the proverbial straw.

Now I know many of you will respond that the above is all the fault of
the 'anti's' for spreading fear and propaganda.  But that's not true and
its not that simple. The media did the job for us.

norm