Re: NY Times - nuke guards swamped by overtime

>From: Norman Cohen <ncohen12@comcast.net>

>To: RadSafe

>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:11:04 -0400

>GUys,

>All the NY times article does is to raise a concern about too much overtime

>for

>nuke guards. This is one of the reasons why

>we (unplug) supports Federalizing nuke plant guards, to bring a better

>level of

>professionalism to this important job, especially in the post-911 climate

>we all

>find ourselves in.

>Norm

Check out the following.

Regards,

Jim

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=676&e=15&u=/usatoday/20021024/ts_usatoday/4561318

Air marshals' low morale spelled out

Thu Oct 24, 7:16 AM ET

Blake Morrison USA TODAY

More than a thousand federal air marshals reported sick in a three-week

period during the height of the summer travel season, and morale problems in

the top-secret program appear far more pervasive than Transportation

Department officials have acknowledged, documents obtained by USA TODAY

indicate.

One memo, dated Aug. 29, shows that 1,250 air marshals ''reported sick

during a recent 18-day period.'' The memo, titled ''Team Leader Meeting,''

was sent from the scheduling center in Atlantic City.

The memo indicates that morale problems continue to damage a federal program

that's supposed to improve security and reassure air travelers.

It suggests that many who called in sick weren't sick at all, and concludes

that ''sick leave abuse has become a serious issue for the (federal air

marshal) division.''

One marshal who was hired in February explains, ''The only way to get a day

off is to call in sick.''

Quickly putting more undercover officers aboard flights was billed as a key

to preventing hijackings. Although the number of air marshals is classified,

sources say the program grew to almost 6,000 after the Sept. 11 attacks.

That means at least a fifth of the workforce reported sick during that

18-day period.

More than 50 current and former air marshals say managers misled them by

promising four-day workweeks to make up for the constant travel. Instead,

the marshals say, they are working 12- to 16-hour days, often five days a

week. All say they have been told they will be fired if they speak publicly.

A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) spokesman said the agency was

unable to locate the memo. Nonetheless, the agency denies the information.

''No such thing has ever occurred,'' an agency official wrote in a

statement. ''Any suggestion by anyone to the contrary is simply mistaken or

uninformed.''

The memo contradicts statements issued by TSA head James Loy, who criticized

a USA TODAY story in August that documented morale problems.

Loy, in an Aug. 29 letter to the editor, attributed complaints to a ''tiny

pool'' of ''disgruntled employees.'' But the memo about sick leave -- based

on a meeting that took place a day before Loy's letter was published --

indicates agency leaders had reason to suspect widespread discontent.

''Why can't they be honest and just say, 'We have problems and we're working

on them,' '' asks Billie Vincent, a former security director of the Federal

Aviation Administration (news - web sites) who helped expand the marshal

program in the 1980s.

After the USA TODAY story, the General Accounting Office (news - web sites)

launched an investigation.

''If things aren't better by January, you're going to see another mass

exodus,'' says one marshal.

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you.  When the driver a

half-car-length in front of you signals to get over, slow down.  Smile and

say "hi" to the folks you pass on the sidewalk.  Give blood.  Volunteer.