RE: BBC NEWS | Africa | Famine-hit Zambia rejects GM food aid

Jack and Stewart,

This is a new twist.  I believe that the original problem was not that the

grain GM.  The concern was that the farmers would keep some the grain and

grow it in future years.  Zambia used to be a exporter of grain to other

countries, including those in Europe that refuse to accept GM grain from the

US.  The grain would have been accepted if it was ground into flour for

baking.

This question of it being "poison" may be a bid for sympathy and dodge the

question of why the government is not allowing the grain to be distributed.

I think the analogy to exposure to AIDS as being an acceptable risk is a bit

crude.  Particularly in a part of the world that has been overwhelmed by a

social and medical problem.  I doubt if any one of the victims was aware of

what AIDS was or what the results would be.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD 20715-2024

jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:02:56 -0800

Jack_Earley wrote:

Let's see. As I recall, there are about 1.2M orphans in Zambia due to AIDS.

So risky activities are okay if they're known to result in injury, but GM

food is not okay, because they think it might somehow result in injury.

Somethin' wrong with this picture.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer