RE: Re :LNT & "speed limits"

Jerry,

I think one would have to be uninformed to misunderstand the issues with

genetically modified foods, human consumption and trade issues.  That is why

I could not get your comments in association about the LNT.  Prudent

avoidance has nothing to do with the LNT, but is based on avoiding ANY

exposure.  The analogy would be like walking under power lines and around

black cats.

I am sure you can cite other examples of what the public understands or

misunderstands.  A large segment of the population does not believe that

cancer can be caused by things other than radiation.  A large segment of the

population does not understand that 1 of 5 will die from radiation.  The

public does not understand that our understanding of risk is based on

extrapolation of data.  Blaming the LNT is a cop-out for not trying to

educate the public.

As I said before, the ALARA idea is sound as it makes one consider doing

operations safer and better.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist