Re: DB to test for leaks

In a message dated 01/11/02 16:53:29 GMT Standard Time, Michael.Kent@nmcco.com writes:

)  This hydrostatic test is performed at all reactors after refueling.  This is nothing special, although in this article they may want it to appear that way.

2) The amount of heat added be the fuel is insignificant.  The reason the primary heats up is one reason alone.  The pumps.

Just to add to this, the Sizewell B power plant in the UK (based on the SNUPPS design) underwent a period of Hot Functional Testing even before fuel was loaded.  If I remember correctly the plant was run at full reactor pressure and temperature, and even managed to supply sufficient steam to the rotate the turbine before any fuel was loaded in the core.  It may even have been before fuel was delivered to site but my memory is hazy on this.  The plant was operated for about 200 hours at full temperature and pressure with the reactor operated with as close as possible to operating parameters.  This was also to allow the plant surfaces to be conditioned, i.e. metal surfaces passivated etc.  It is interesting to note that that Devid Besse proposes to undertake this test with fuel loaded when it could easily be undertaken without fuel present.

Regards
       Julian