RE: TV radiation

If the location of the TV is in a relatively high radon/thoron area, the dust which collects on the screen will likely have daughter products attached. The polonium ion, after decay, is usually positively charged and grabs the first thing it can find, i.e. dust in the air.   I did an informal study on it and found that it's an interesting way to measure Radon/Thoron, but it is highly dependent on how static builds up on the TV. This seemed to be manufacturer and model dependent.

The experiment was cut short when my wife did not buy my contention that our house should remain dusty until I finished the experiment.  Albeit the daughter product radiation dose from a dusty TV would be very small, I used it as an excuse to discourage my children's' TV watching. It didn't work very well - but then they were always smarter than me.

I concur with Ted DeCastro regarding the definitive article in the HPS Journal. TV screen radiation is not a problem. The question of TV screen radiation comes up periodically in the public.  I recommend that you keep copies of this article in your file.  At least once a year I hand out a copy to a "concerned" citizen. Regarding the radon/thoron daughter buildup, use Windex regularly or turn off your TV indefinitely.

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division