Re: " we're evolved for radiation " - geophysicist on polereversals

on 11/3/02 8:59 PM, John Jacobus at jenday1@MSN.COM wrote:

> Jaro,

> What is meant by "we're evolved for radiation?"  Had humans evolved the last

> time it occurred, or was life more primitive?

What? This is just biology. Cells/organisms work the same in humans and all

eukaryotes. Even to prokaryote functions. (Even though organisms have

different rates, e.g., radiodurans repairs DNA a million times faster than

humans.)

"Evolutionary biology" shows that humans have "evolutionarily conserved DNA"

back to "primitive" cells.

[Last year I found these basics now in high school biology texts!]

Cells, and organisms, fail to function without radiation.  Radiation is not

something we "survive," it's essential.  Dose rates below about 0.01 mr/hr

cause physiological damage, with health consequences, not just irrelevant

chromosome aberrations, etc. [Note: <0.01 mr/hr equates to <90 mr/yr.]

Regards, Jim Muckerheide