Re: Feedback - Radioactive-waste bunkers `unsafe'

Richard,

Thank you for your message. Please I understood very well your point.

a) About background I use to spend about one month per year, as part of my

activities in Brazil, for about 15 years in Guarapary one of the highest

background in the world. The external radiation levels on monazite sands

range up to 5 mrad/hr (50 µGy/hr), which is almost 400 times the normal

background of your area, as you have mentioned: "(near to and presumably

similar to San Diego) of about 90-100mREM/yr." Some of the major streets

have radiation levels as high as 0.13 mrad/hr (1.3 µGy/hr), which is more

than 10 times your background area.

To have a general  idea, look at this Japanese Site,

http://www.taishitsu.or.jp/radiation/index-e.html

And in particular in Brazilian Guarapary:

http://www.taishitsu.or.jp/radiation/guarapari-e.html

The levels of our delicious Brazil-Nuts is about 5,600 pCi/Kg K-40 and

(1,000-7,000) pCi/Kg Ra-226 - I am sure most of our HP colleagues enjoy

Brazil-Nuts, as well most of American Citizenz.

Recent reference: Environmental Radioactivity from Natural, Industrial and

Military Sources, Eisenbud, M and Gesell T. Academic Press, Inc. 1997.

b) I enjoy discussion on risk perception and management, considering workers

and public attitudes and sentiments, because my own experience, in Guarapari

and others Brazilian high background areas, and being involved in response

of many real emergency activities, the most important coordinating the

emergency response in the Radiological Accident in Goiania. In fact, I have

to move to Goiania, where I spent two years, to conduct the Brazilian

Project of the Repository to keep the waste due that Radiological Accident.

I can understand very well feelings due fear and lost of life and

properties.

c) Only as curiosity on Risk, I recommend a look at the site:

http://www.pollutionengineering.com/archives/1996/pol1101.96/11edit0.htm

Brazil Nuts Help Explain Radioactive Risk

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel