Re: Media dishonesty

Having earned a doctorate (Sc.D), i.e., "been there, done that," I've reached some conclusions about what a doctorate shows and doesn't show.

1.  It shows a degree of determination that I admire.

2.  It shows a certain ability to "get it all together" and bring a project to a successful conclusion.  There are a lot of EBD's (everything but dissertation) out there, who are intelligent and knowlegable, but who, for various reasons, can't quite finish.

3.  This goes back to #2 - there's a large degree of  luck that often separates the PhD's and EBD's.  There are a lot of cases where persons deserve the degree but can't get it, e.g., funding runs out, their advisors are unreasonable, their project gets scooped by someone else and they can't produce "original" work, they make a poor choice of topic that turns out to be either impossible to complete or too trivial for a dissertation (Here, the advisor is generally at fault.), etc.

4.  PhD's do not necessarily possess superior knowledge or judgment outside the scope of their dissertations.

The bottom line - In general I see no reason to give greater credibility to a PhD in any area other than his particular research topic.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com