Re: Media dishonesty

In a message dated 11/11/02 11:51:06 PM Mountain Standard Time, lists@richardhess.com writes:

Do people still respect Ph.D.s?

No.  And that "no" apparently includes a number of National Laboratory managers, DOE Senior Executive Service and political appointees, and NRC and EPA managers.  Moreover, we now have degraded the degree and have doctorates given in subjects like "Environmental Health Education" (as Dave Barry says, I am not making this up.  This is a program at the University of New Mexico.  Surprise?  This is New Mexico, after all).  The only people who still have any respect for a doctorate in a basic subject are the Ph.Ds themselves and Ph.D. candidates.

For a moment FORGET your industry and the jobs/benefits/etc., but rather
think of the ANGST that this causes lay people.

Now, why should I put my livelihood in jeopardy because a lot of "lay" people are too gullible to look into things for themselves?  People usually exercise common sense about things that actually affect them, or that they think actually affect them.  I will speak out and put my job in jeopardy, and believe me I have done so, for a lot of things, like attacking the LNT, but not because some people are scared of shadows.  "Forget your ... jobs/benefits..." is easy to tell someone else to do and, trust me, not easy to do.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com