Re: Radiation-Proof Uniform?

This reminds me of a product marketed about 15 years, ago.  I found it listed in the "Equipment & Services" section of "Nuclear News."  The vendor advertised an "emergency dosimeter," which would glow when exposed to ~ 25 mrads/hr.  He was about to market this to people living near nuclear power plants, with the message that they couldn't trust the utilities to provide accurate information in an emergency.

I was able to get the vendor to send me a sample "dosimeter."  We put it in our instrument calibrator and, even in the dark, could not detect any visible glow below approximately 25,000 mrads/hour.  The vendor refused to identify the material, but it seemed to be sodium iodide.  I pursuaded the vendor to seek his fortune doing something else.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com