From: Frohmberg, Eric [mailto:Eric.Frohmberg@STATE.ME.US]

Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 10:02 AM

To: 'J. Marshall Reber'; Radsafe (E-mail)

Subject: RE: "FOOD WITHOUT FEAR" [FW]

Yes, I believe your are correct in that cooking does the job - the concern

is undercooked foods (e.g., pink hamburgers) or cross contamination -

handling raw meat, then a cooked hamburger and then letting it incubate

under a heat lamp for an hour (just as a wild example, not that I can ever

imagine that happening).

but that leads me to another question - raw fish etc., (sushi, sashimi) has

great potential for bacterial contamination - and most health depts advise

against eating it.  I haven't been following the food irradiation thread -

but has there been any interest in irradiating these foods?  How has the

food irradiation debate been going on in Japan?  I would think this would be

an area where the benefits are tangible and measureable... sorry if this has

already been discussed to death...

-Eric

Eric Frohmberg

Toxicologist