Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: DU Story

Norm,
Actually, the only known definitive effect I am aware of is getting hit by a DU round, or being in a tank that was hit by one.  I believe there were some studies looking a US troops who had embedded DU shapnel in them.  See http://www.afrri.usuhs.mil/www/outreach/pdf/livengood.pdf  I also assume that there is a wealth of data on those involved with uranium process, excluding miners who would have the confounding exposures from radon.  I am sure someone on this list can provide references.

Norm, since you are somewhat well read and have access to many of the items we on RADSAFE have on the Internet, what do you think of the article?  Excluding the health effects of low doses of uranium, did you see any comments or statements that you feel are biased and take away for the real issue of health v. speculation.

-- John
John P. Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
3050 Traymore Lane