Re: United Way Supports Anti-Nukes

Hi, Michael.

I get the RadSafe Digest, but NOrm was kind enough to forward your post to

Know_Nukes with a funny subject header.

>You need to untwist your knickers.

I'd do that, but then my brain wouldn't get enough oxygen.  Believe me, my

brain needs all it can get.

>It makes a heckuva lot more sense for a person to send their money directly

>to a NON-partner agency then through United Way - - if they want to get the

>most bang for their buck.

Yes.  UWay's overhead is about 15% overall, which is relatively good

percentage-wise.

>HOWEVER, just because the United Way honors a donor's wish and PASSES ALONG

>that donor's contributions DOES NOT mean that the United Way endorses or

>condones

I did not imply that; I said supports.  If the United Way is helping those

organizations to raise money, they are supporting them.  As a contributor to

United Way, I don't want them helping groups like NC WARN achieve their

objectives.  Of course, it's UW's option to support whomever they want, just

like it's my option to donate money to whomever I want.

>A donor can direct their monies to ANY organization through the United Way

>as long as it is non-profit.

My recollection was that I get to choose which agencies my UWay donations go

to off a pre-determined list.  Still, if you're correct, that's no excuse.

I should have done some more research or waited for a reply from them before

posting.

I think you're right - http://www2.ucsc.edu/united-way/FAQ.html says you can

designate any 503(c) organization with a write in.  I was wrong.

> > The United Way is a great organization.  They have made significant

>changes in the last several years regarding how they do business.  They

>fill a vital role in the communities they serve.

I think I said that.  I agree.  I know several people who have been directly

helped by the UWay.

I apologize to the United Way and all of y'all on distribution for my error.

  I'll post any reply I get from them.

Now I'll go an eat my pledge card to the Coalition for Tuna-Free Dolphin

Meat.  Oh, and tighten up my knickers another notch.

Regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you.  When the driver a

half-car-length in front of you signals to get over, slow down.  Smile and

say "hi" to the folks you pass on the sidewalk.  Give blood.  Volunteer.