RE: rad demo kit

Title: RE: rad demo kit

Phil,

On page 8 of the CNS handbook ``Nuclear Experiments in the Classroom''
( http://www.cns-snc.ca/ecc/ionRadWorkshop-1998Apr16.pdf ) you will find contacts for obtaining the necessary equipment, as well as persons who can provide more information.

Specifically, the following info is provided :

137Ba SOURCE GENERATOR:

Generator purchase from PASCO Phone 800-772-8700
Eluent to milk 137Ba from the generator Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic (EDTA)
EDT chemical formula (C10H16N2O8)   composition    (0.1M PH 9) .

To make EDTA mix:
Tetra sodium salt (C10H12N2Na4O8)               10.4g
Pure water (H2O)                        250 mL
Dissolve salt in water.  The pH of this solution will be about 11.  It is crucial to adjust this pH to 9.  In order to do this, add few drops of high purity nitric acid.  Measure pH with meter.

137Ba Radionuclide:
This  2.55 minute half-life radionuclide is formed by the beta decay of the 30 year half-life 137Cs radionuclide.  Ba can be separated cleanly from Cs by chemical process using an inexpensive ion exchange column.  The 661 keV gamma-ray from 137Ba are easily detected with a Geiger monitor.

Procedure:
Prepare a 137Ba source by passing the EDTA solution through the IsogeneratorTM.  Count the gamma-ray activity as a function of time with Geiger monitor/ chart recorder apparatus or with the RD-60 / IBM PC apparatus.  Determine the half-life by calculating the time span in which the activity drops by a factor of two.

Hope this helps.

Jaro