AW: Food Irradiation Alert - Sierra Club of Canada

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von BLHamrick@AOL.COM
Gesendet: Samstag, 30. November 2002 02:28
An: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM; ograabe@UCDAVIS.EDU; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: Re: Food Irradiation Alert - Sierra Club of Canada

In a message dated 11/29/2002 3:22:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

.  I have never understood the basis for the hysteria about food irradiation.

I think that's very simple.  If you want to do away with all things "nuclear," you must attack them all, even if they serve society well.  The agenda of many of the opposition folks here on the "left" coast appears to be the ultimate elimination of all uses of radioactive material.  I suspect there are others like them throughout the world] ---------------------------------------------
Barbara[While
I agree wíth you on the  question whether all use of radioactive material is the target of certain groups and that they want to prohibit it, I do not agree on the use of food irradiation. This topic comes up at RADSAFE frequently. I support any activities to save food in the developing countries by irradiating it and saving it from being destroyed by pests. What I do not support is the clearly uttered interest of some companies in the U'SA to maximize their profits by marketing food, which otherwise would not be possible to be marketized, because it is infested by salmonella and other - deadly - bacteria. Yes, I write "deadly bacteria".
I clearly oppose  it, when it comes to "extended shelf live". This is an argument, which is in sharp contrast with the world wide opinion that food should be as fresh as possible. If Americans accept that foods shelf life is extended by radiation - please do it. Nobody in Europe will accept it - simply because there is no need for it. We have excellent ways to ship oysters, fish, crabs, etc.  to any destination within Europe. The price is accordingly. If you do not want to pay the price for fresh oysters - leave it and eat a McDonalds hamburger instead - in Europe this would be a kind of insunuaion.
Food irradiation is ok, if it helps peoples to escape famine. It is a crime, if it is intended to maximise profits of world wide acting companies.

Franz