defining 11e2 as NORM?

Recently, I have been speaking with someone who is under the impression

that uranium mining waste is NORM, despite the clear definition of 11e2

byproduct.  I was not aware of a grey area here, since mining waste either

meets the literal definition of byproduct or it doesn't- and it seems

fairly clear to me.   I seem to remember this person saying it could be

both, which also makes little sense to me from a regulatory standpoint (one

or the other)

OIl/gas and other NORM is not in the uranium fuel cycle, so obviously

theres no question.  How does something in this part of the  fuel cycle

possibly get classed as NORM?

(I am aware of the fine line between LLW and 11e2- like enrichment wastes,

but not one with 11e2 and NORM)

Is this person nuts?

Thanks

-