RE: defining 11e2 as NORM?

Tristan, Radsafers,

The USEPA considers uranium mine waste as NORM (or TENORM).  In 1989 and

1993 they published assessment of NORM sources, including uranium mine

overburden and mine spoils.  A summary of the 1993 document can be found at

http://www.tenorm.com/sectors.htm  A statement from that webpage says:

"Unlike ore (source material) and mill tailings (byproduct material),

uranium overburden is not regulated by the Atomic Energy Act (AEA 1954) or

the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) program (EPA 1978), and

therefore is considered TENORM."

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement

EPA has been active in this area since 1993.  A 1997 draft document was

generated, but not released. The EPA is presently assessing uranium mine

wastes in the Colorado Plateau.  One of the regions recently released a set

of CDs describing uranium mine wastes and environmental data for Navajo

lands.

Jim Otton