Re: MEDHP-SEC: Article: High Security Trips Up Some Irradiated Patients, Doctors Say

At 08:50 AM 12/4/02 -0500, Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS) wrote:

>Thought this would be of interest.

>-- John

>John P. Jacobus, MS

>Certified Health Physicist

>3050 Traymore Lane

>Bowie, MD 20715-2024

>e-mail:  jenday1@msn.com

Dear Radsafers:

This is an old problem with a simple solution.  It's called

"spectrometry".  The radionuclides used in Nuclear Medicine and permanent

brachytherapy are not good candidates for nuclear terrorism.  They can be

identified by their gamma/x-ray spectra, and law enforcement personnel who

carry radiation detectors should carry spectrometers with simple programs

that give a green light if it's nuclear medicine or brachytherapy

radionuclides, and a red light if it's not.  Or, pick other colors because

of color-blind men.  But, the technology is here and it's time it was

used.  The same technology should be used at landfills.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.

<csmarcus@ucla.edu>