RE: Thorium Allergy

>Besides thorium, what else do the rods contain?  You need to look at all the

>metals.

>-- John

Dear Colleagues--I do not find thorium to be listed as a sensitizer

(which is the association I make with the word "allergy").  Mr.

Jacobus' comment was very appropriate.  Nickel, in particular, is a

severe sensitizer in some individuals and precipitates a number of

"allergic" responses, varying in form and severity from individual to

individual.  I personally have a skin sensitization to nickel from

having worn nickel-containing eyeglass frames for many years.  I have

had to switch to 100% titanium frames.  If the welding rods are for

stainless steel they probably have nickel in them and it is probably

the nickel, not the thorium, that is the problem.  My $.02.  Tom

--

Tom Shelley,   Chemical Hygiene Officer, Cornell University

Department of Environmental Health and Safety, 125 Humphreys Service Building,

Ithaca, NY 14853.       (607) 255-4288              tjs1@cornell.edu

The comments and views expressed in this communication are strictly my own and

are not to be construed to officially represent those of my peers,

supervisors or

Cornell University.