California SB 13

For those of you who followed last year's legislative saga in California...they'rrrre baaaaack!

On 12/2/02, State Senator Gloria Romero introduced SB 13, The Radiation Safety Act of 2003 (co-authored by State Senator Sheila Kuehl).  It is available at www.senate.ca.gov (click on "Legislation," and search for SB 13).

As it stands now, it is precisely the same as last year's SB 1970, vetoed by Governor Davis.  It has not yet been assigned to a committee, but my guess is it will follow a path similar to last year's session - Local Government, Environmental Quality and Appropriations.

Just an FYI.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone tuned in, that I am speaking in this forum as a private citizen, and have no right or authority to speak for the entity for which I work.  Also, while I have quite a particular view of the quality (or lack thereof) and value (or lack thereof) of this legislation, I do not, in any way expect, or even hope for, anyone to endorse my personal views on the matter.  I invite you all, as professionals, to read it for yourselves, and come to your own conclusions, and decide your own course of action.

Sincerely,
Barbara L. Hamrick, JD, CHP