Re: MEDHP-SEC: Article: High Security Trips Up Some Irradi

> CdTe detectors have came a long

> way in the last few years. 3-4 keV resolution on Cs-137 is now

> common for a 1x1x0.2 cm detector.

 Impressive resolution indeed - for a no-nitrogen detector. The efficiency

issue can be solved to some extent by putting several detectors

on an array, as you mention. Todays electronics can cope with this

easily (separately processing and digitally matching/adding, one can

do this right now with 4 - or even 6 -  detectors with one of our systems,

with some cost optimization this could make the CdTe detectors indeed

feasible for the task).

>I have been doing this for about 10 years, using older circuitry designed

>for correcting for ballistic deficit in coaxial germanium detectors.

>This vendor has implemented a pulse handling scheme designed

>for a planer CdTe detector.

Actually with a good DSP based convertor with a filter editor you can

get the maximum resolution from practically any kind of detector

(perhaps after some experimenting with the filter shape). This is

at least valid about my design, the so called hi-spec module.

( http://transgalactic.freeyellow.com/hstb.htm )

I would say analog signal processing is history in gamma spectroscopy,

like, say, tubes.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff

Transgalactic Instruments, Gourko Str. 25 b, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria

http://transgalactic.freeyellow.com