From: M Nivas <motnivas@YAHOO.COM>

Sent: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:36:49 -0800 (PST)

To: Rob Gunter <rgunter@SEC-TN.COM>, radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Food Irradiation devil's advocate

To All,

When I go to Wright Patterson flight museum I purchase

some freeze dried "Astronaut food" its Good!

Astronaut food is also sterilized  by gamma

irradiation.

What about the foodstuffs being cross-linked into

formation of carcinogens. I routinly crosslinked

cellular materials, example:  proteins etc. with UV

and Betas

It seems only natural that food would be cross linked

using gamma irradiation, thus producing carcinogens!

Sure most of it goes right through, but it still is

enough to destroy and crosslink proteins into

carcinogens! Otherwise the bacteria, viruses,

mycoplasmas etc. would not DIE

So playing devil's advocate - Irradiation of

foodstuffs

will form some carcinogens.  I know what the first

answer would be "one cooks food and forms carcinogens"

My answer is: you may be making twice or more

carcinogens because your irradiating the food - Then

cooking it! Now where's the meat?

Enjoy,

Tom

http://mailplus.yahoo.com