Re: Security Screening Technique

In a message dated 12/8/02 9:49:24 AM Mountain Standard Time, JENDAY1@msn.com writes:

The danger, as such, the knowledge that it is radioactive.  I argue that it is the knowledge that the material is radioacitve is what causes the fear, which is the terror act.  Exposure is something we, on this list, have a knowledge of but the public, including the first responsers and those making decisions on evacuation, do not.

While we need to educate the public, do not be surprised if the actions we anticipate to be taken do not occur.

You know if we, the supposed "experts", keep saying that there will be fear, panic, terror, etc, caused simply by the knowledge that something is radioactive, aren't we creating a self-fulfilling prophecy?  Isn't this by now a sort of "just say no" question, as in, radioactivity that is comparable to background is nothing to be terrified of?

Moreover, the terrorist acts that have occurred recently caused lots of immediate deaths, and I really do think that most people find death in an explosion or fire a lot more terrifying than the thought that someone might have a low-level radiation source in their pocket.

Ruth

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com