Re: Security Screening Technique

In a message dated 12/10/2002 7:34:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

Do policy planners lack experts to consult, or are driven by the political motives, such as if anything happens we will be sued?

DOE and NRC have been so vilified and generally verbally beat up by (predominantly anti-nuclear) "stakeholders," aided and abetted by Hazel O'Leary, that they now bend over backwards to mollify those stakeholder.  And they get sued, and threatened with lawsuits, all the time.

OTOH, legislators in California last year appeared to actively reject the advice of experts, preferring to rely on pseudo-scientists that would support their legislation irrespective of its lack of merits.  I personally believe this was motivated by the fact that being anti-nuclear creates an easy conduit to Hollywood dollars, but I can't prove that.  It is pure speculation on my part.  I don't have the money to connect the dots, but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see the picture.

Barbara