More on DU - another scenario

OK, we have discussed the effects of DU penetrators in soils, from

oxidized aerosols inside tanks, from uptake from vegetation, from

injection in wounds, et al.  Here is another scenario I had to deal with

yesterday.  Your friendly state regulator read  the posting from Dr.

Raabe on the SA of DU to the nurse who called this in.  That made the

nurse comfortable that there was little or no risk from exposure to the

DU.  I think the kid was awfully lucky considering he was playing with a

live round.  So, all you risk managers and risk assessors, don't forget

the live-round-behind-the-dumpster scenario in your future

evaluations:-) And yes, intelligent postings to the list still have

value and get used, RADSAFE forever.

PVE

Hi Phil,

    Here is what I know about the military shell found in an alley in

Montrose.  A 15 year old boy found a military shell in the alley behind

the Hospital around S. 3rd street.  He brought the shell home and the

next day brought it to his ROTC instructor at Montrose High School.  The

instructor recognized it as being military and sent it to the army for

identification.  The id came back as being a 30 mm anti-tank round with

depleted uranium and had not been fired.  It had  been recommended that

the boy have an alpha reading done, at which point mom called our office

to request an order for the test.  After checking around and finding out

that no one around here does that type of testing I called Poison

Control and was directed to your office.  After talking with you I

called mom back and reassured her that any exposure to uranium would

have been negligible and her son did not need to have this test,

especially since he was not having any symptoms.

    As for why this type of ammunition was found in an alley in

Montrose, nobody has any idea.  I suggested to the ROTC instructor and

mom to pursue the issue with the army to try to figure out how this

happened.  This is about everything I know.  If you have questions you

can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.  You could also talk to the ROTC

instructor.

<snip>

PS: I will call the ROTC guy and the mom and do a survey if they wish

when I am over in that neck of the woods next week.

Phil Egidi

CDPH&E

303-692-3083

phil.egidi@state.co.us