AW: Potassium Iodide

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Jacobus, John

(NIH/OD/ORS)

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 19. Dezember 2002 23:37

An: 'Richard L. Hess'; 'RadSafe'

Betreff: RE: Potassium Iodide

Richard,

Since the x-rays are delivered in milliseconds, I doubt your meter will be

able to respond fast enough to give any kind of valid response.

-- John

--------------------------

I may add - to put things into perspective - that K-40 does not emit any

alphas, which might be shielded by polyethylene or polypropylene. K-40 is an

emitter of high energetic betas and high energetic gammas, which will not or

hardly been shielded.

But the actual dose is not the point of previous postings, as far as I

understand them: It simply is funny, that people, who are scared of "dirty

bombs", ridiculous potential doses from DU, tritium from exit signs, hardly

detectable emissions from nuclear power plants etc. regard something

radioactive (KI) as a solution for all radiation protection "problems".

Franz