Not using LNT to calculate risk does not mean there is no risk.

Dear Colleagues, The last HPS NEWS had an editorial by Andy Karam

discussing the use of LNT to calculate risk at low doses. He points

out that both HPS and ICRP discourage the use of LNT to calculate

risk from low doses.  That is not the same as saying there is no

risk. As far as I know neither HPS nor ICRP have stated there is no

risk at low doses. If the public believes there is a risk (which they

do), it makes little difference to them what the calculated risk is.

They are still afraid of it. The fact that they can't calculate the

risk might make it seem riskier than quoting a small risk.

	I  sent Andy Karam a copy of my draft letter to HPS News

commenting on his editorial, requesting his comments. My draft letter

points out that neither the HPS nor the ICRP have stated that there

is no risk from low doses.  My letter emphasizes that the evidence is

very strong that low to moderate doses are beneficial. For example,

one could use the data from the nuclear shipyard worker study (NSWS)

to estimate the reduced risk from cancer for a given increase of

dose. Perhaps more interesting is the estimated increase in longevity

from an increase in dose based on NSWS. The nuclear shipyard workers

with the highest cumulative doses (>5 mSv) had nearly three years

increase in longevity compared to unexposed shipyard workers.

(Matanoski 1991)

	The 100 year study of British radiologists shows that not

even the earliest radiologists (1897-1920) had no decrease in

longevity compared to other male MDs in England, even though they had

75% greater cancer mortality.  (Berrington et al 2001, Cameron 2002)

	For looking at risks from radiation it seems more reasonable

to consider the change in longevity rather than cancer incidence.

British radiologists who entered the field between 1955-1979 had 29%

less cancer (NS) and 36% lower deaths from non-cancer. Their death

rate from all causes was 32%, over three years increase in longevity.

	I doubt if you will find anyone on this list server who will

defend LNT. We must continue to point out the contradictory evidence

to LNT.

	Best wishes, John Cameron

If you want to know the references ask me by e-mail.

--

John R. Cameron (jrcamero@wisc.edu)

2678 SW 14th Dr. Gainesville, FL 32608

(352) 371-9865 Fax (352) 371-9866

(winters until  about May  10)

PO Box 405, Lone Rock,WI 53556

(for UPS, etc. insert: E2571 Porter Rd.)

(608) 583-2160; Fax (608) 583-2269

(summer:  until about Oct. 15)