From: J. J. Rozental [mailto:joseroze@netvision.net.il]
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 1:16 AM
To: Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS); Rad Safety Institute; Radsafe
Subject: Re: Dirty Bombs

Dear John,

About your remarks: Whether you think this is bad information or not, this is what the public hears.

Please, I didn't write it was a bad information, what I wrote was "the manner of information is bad to public understand".

How do you think the public respond to any significant contamination incident, terrorist attack or not?

By significant I mean Nuclear as Chernobyl, TMI,  (I could include Tokaimura) and Radiological as Goiania:

At the initial phase, even with a good educational public programme I think  the psychological effects of the  accident will be have more or less  impact according with the Government Official Communication to media and authorities,   municipality and state , particularly immediately after the accident. The Regulatory Authority credibility needs to be in high rank, mainly in the early phase when urgent actions must to be taken, and stress and trauma of relocation, the breaking of social ties, and the people's fear that any radiation exposure is damaging and could damage  health and their children’s future.In this phase,  the distress caused by the misperception of radiation risks will be extremely harmful to people.

How will the authorities respond?

This will depend of the countries capability both to respond technically and to respond communicating.

Look more than 15 were lapsed from Chernobyl and Goiania accident,  but many technical, political, economic, social and psychological lessons still remain to be analyzed and learned, lest any other similar accident take place. In another words: if another scenario along the lines of the Chernobyl and Goiania accident were to happen in a developing country, (or even nuclear structured), most probably the same scenarios will happen again, the competent authority, the organization dedicated to remediation and the media will repeat the same mistakes, and this will be a setback for nuclear energy.

 The question is how do you "educate" the public.

 The great experience of my life was Goiania, so I use it as reference. One of the lessons from Goiania to educate people, until today is the Brazilian National Commission of Nuclear Energy BNCNE's Programme BNCNE goes to Schools, and also to many others Social institutions like LIONS, ROTARY, etc, and, as in many other countries, has improved the Internet Communication with the public.

Another lesson was the necessity to train some staff member, including communicators, in specific of nuclear issues, visiting TV studios and Newspaper headquarters to understand better media organization to understand motives of media. Most journalists are generalists, forced by circumstances to educate themselves as they go along. Regulatory Authority RA has to work with media and the media must be included in the Country Emergency Planning Methodology. As to achieve some results it will a long history to write.

Local population in case of fixed installation have top priority;

Media is necessary top priority in general, however it is not enough, it is also necessary to go to the Greens. Not all of them are against nuclear, however all of them are in favor of environment.

You have to open the door for the Greens and as the Media they must be included in the Country Emergency Planning Methodology.

Regulatory Authority should study in each region who's who to help to disseminate information. Goiania prove this. It was a single source the reason of the worst radiological accident in the world.

Today International and National Organizations is writing guidance to Public Communication.

The IAEA wrote the TECDOC 1076 Communication on Nuclear, Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety: A Practical Handbook and you and to those interested can download the text at

 http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_1076_prn.pdf

Now it is in phase of last review a new TECDOC – Generic procedures for public information management in a nuclear or radiological emergency, based on in the TECDOC 953 New Version Updated: Method for the Development of Emergency Response Preparedness for a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency. The Old version Radsafers still can download it at

http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/te_953_prn.pdf.

Also in the USA there are many organizations dealing with subject. Recently, last July, I was invited as IAEA consultant to participate in a Workshop conducting by the Division of Emergency and Environmental Health Services of the National Center for Environmental Health (NCEH) to develop a guidance document on Risk Communication during a Radiological Incident. The Workshop was in Las Vegas and I believe 3 colleagues of this list were present.

Finally, there are many documents and  now  each country  needs to prepare a project, planning and strategy to implement communications actions,according with theirs necessities.
. . .