Costs?... Was Re:parent anti-correlations between geographicrad iation and cancer are not surprising[Scanned]

Medical costs are highly uncertain, as are all the other costs that could be

associated with rad-dispersal (accidental or deliberate).  What is clear,

though, is that the primary determinant of costs would be the choice of a

dose level deemed "safe."  The below report concludes that the affected

indidviduals would probably be involved in that decisionmaking.  The

involvement of the local populace in cleanup decisionmaking (I am told) is

to be addressed in the forthcoming Public Draft of the new Chapter 8 for the

EPA PAGs which (I am told) is due to be publicly released in March 2003.

For a detailed analysis of potential rad-dispersal costs (focused on

plutonium, but useful as a starting point for other materials:

http://plutonium-erl.actx.edu/restoration.html

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/product.biblio.jsp?osti_id=249283

David I. Chanin

"DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily

represent Sandia National Laboratories or the Department of Energy."