Re: Dosimeters and airport security

Hi,
       my own personal view is that it is always useful for an individual to be 'double badged' when working at another site/facility.  It can help to clarify where any unexpected exposure may have occurred.  If a significant exposure was recieved while working at another site both dosemeters will show a significant, though not necessarily the same, exposure.  If only the individuals own dosemeter (issued by their home site) shows a significant exposure, then the dose will have been recieved at their home site.  I believe this information to be usefull to both parties.

On the second issue about doses recorded due to security x-ray screening, my experience has been that an additional 3rd dosemeter is used.  This will acount for any doses recieved by screening and also any dose recieved through extended air travel (which despite being recieved during the course of someones employment it is not recognised as such in the UK and should not be recorded on an individuals dose record) and could also be used to provide some indication of the background dose received by the 'legal' dosemeter.  The guidance given to personnel in these cases has been to travel with both dosemeters together and then leave the additional 'non-legal' dosemeter in their hotel room.

I don't know if this helps, and apologies for the poor english.  I would be interested in others views particularly those of Sandy Pearle.

Regards,
       Julian