AARST Radon Scientist Claim Nation's Policy a Failure

Stewart,

BEIR VI's best estimate of the number of lung cancer deaths attributed to radon

in the U.S. each year was 15,400 for the exposure-age-duration model and 21,800

for the exposure-age-concentration model. Many people take the average and use

18,600.  The BEIR VI committee's uncertainty analyses using the constant

relative risk model suggested that the number of cases could range from about

3,000 to 33,000.  However, the actual 95% upper confidence limit for the

exposure-age-concentration model was approximately 38,600, but the committee

suggested that such an upper limit was unlikely.

Hi Richard: