Re: Nev. Files Challenge on Nuclear Waste

Good points! Furthermore, I don't think the Army or Air Force fire DU in practice (so, they are used only when "needed").                    Ed
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: Nev. Files Challenge on Nuclear Waste

In a message dated 1/10/2003 4:15:07 PM Central Standard Time, sandyfl@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

She added that the Navy was switching to tungsten rounds but did not
provide further details.

Sellers said she could not say if depleted uranium shells were used
farther north off Canada's coast during exercises in conjunction with
Canadian forces.

The Navy can switch to tungsten because it has "softer" targets (other ships, planes, and missiles) than do the Army, Air Force, and Marines. Tungsten bounces off state-of-the-art tanks. Only DU can penetrate their armor.

I presume that, although tungsten will penetrate the Navy's targets, the Navy is sacrificing at least two of DU's advantages over tungsten to avoid activists' attention: pyrophoricity and cost.

The DU munitions ARE NOT SHELLS!!!! They are solid rods (sabots).

Bob C
COL, USA (ret.)