RE: Apparent anti-correlations between geographic radiation and cancer are no...

At 08:11 AM 1/13/2003 -0800, GWilton wrote:
Mr. Atkins,

There is risk associated with everything you do in
life. There is no such condition or situation that
carries "no risk". There is a risk that the monitor
you are looking at to read this message might explode
at any time or you might spontaneously combust.
However, common sense says that since these rarely, if
ever, occur then the "risk" is insignificant.

All this handwringing going on over 4 pCi/l of indoor
radon and the associated risks is a monumental waste
of time and money. Anyone who tells you different is
full of prunes.

Grant Wilton
Environmental radiochemist

Again; I have to say: read and understand!
Of course there is risk in just about every human endeavor...

All I recommend is prudence and not unnecessarily expose yourself to a radiation risk if no defined benefit is obtained. I am NOT defending ridiculous expenditure or steps to eliminate or avoid "pseudo-risks."

You guys have to realize that excessive zealotry will do the cause more harm than good! And tossing off simplistic responses like the above without bothering to understand the point (or bothering to check the spelling of the sender....) do a dis-service to the cause.....
;~)

PS: I have been handling radiation sources for over 30 years, regularly exposed my body to extremes of climate and hygienic conditions, constantly take part in "high risk" sports. I feel the better for it.....

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor
Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009
Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919
Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585
        Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net