Re: Dosimeters and airport security - Relative Response of dosimeters

Title: Message
Maybe I was in the minority when I was Dosimetry Program Manager.  But for this and other reasons (different algorithms, non-occupational exposures, double counting exposure, lost badges, double check on training, etc.), I discouraged the use of double badging.  Instead, I told the person to leave their badge at our facility and would assist in making arrangements for the person to obtain dosimetry at the facility they were visiting.  I would forward an exposure request to the facility being visited to ensure that the exposure would be incorporated into the person's exposure records and follow up from that standpoint.

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob Gunter
To: Radsafe
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: RE: Dosimeters and airport security - Relative Response of dosimeters

Well said Neil,

This is something that most HPs are unaware of.  The relative response of their dosimeter to different radiation fields.  Your dosimeter is not likely to respond the same as the one at a facility you visit, even if it is an identical dosimeter model.  Dosimeters are not one size fits all.

Rob

Robert J. Gunter, CHP
East Tennessee Technology Park
Operations Support Manager