Re: Geographical distribution of gamma radiation

All,

During the 1975 - 1979 period, data on background soil concentrations

(Ra-226, U-238, and Th-232) and gamma-ray measurements in micro-R/hr were

obtained for a number of areas within 33 states. At that time, members of

my Group at ORNL were performing surveys for DOE during the early phases of

both FUSRAP and the uranium mill-tailings remedial action program. Since we

were traversing the U.S. with a mobile facility, we decided to collect

samples and make gamma-ray measurements at the same place at a height of

one meter. Although these locations were in the vicinity of major highways,

we tried very hard to find areas that had not been impacted by highway

construction, farming, or residential/commercial activity. A report,

ORNL/TM-7343 was published in November 1981 (authors were: T.E. Myrick,

B.A. Berven, and F.F. Haywood). It may still be available from ORNL. A

condensed version was published as a note in Health Physics (September

1983). The report includes state maps where the data were collected.

Therefore it should not be any problem to determine the county.

Fred Haywood

______________________________

Fred Haywood

Principal Scientist

URS

1093 Commerce Park Drive, Ste. 100

Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Direct 865.220.8102

Fax 865.483.9061

fred_haywood@urscorp.com

                      Kai Kaletsch

                      <eic@shaw.ca>                  To:      radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

                      Sent by:                       cc:      BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU>

                      owner-radsafe@list.van         Subject: Geographical distribution of gamma radiation

                      derbilt.edu

                      01/14/03 01:07 PM

                      Please respond to Kai

                      Kaletsch

Friends,

Does anyone know where one can get data on gamma radiation in a form so

that

the county is readily identifiable. The data seems to exist at a high

enough

resolution ( see http://energy.cr.usgs.gov/radon/usagamma.gif ), but it

would be a lot of work to assign gamma radiation values to counties by just

using the map.

Thanks in advance,

Kai