RE: Study Details Steps To Reduce Dirty Bomb Threat

This is the solution presented by the Study Details Steps to Reduce Dirty

Bomb Threat:

Improve source controls by expanding programs to securely dispose of

sources no longer in use ("disused sources") and by intensifying already

active programs to track down and secure lost and discarded "orphan"

sources, especially in the former Soviet Union.

Enhance regulatory measures by assisting nations with weak source security

rules and by improving export control measures, especially end-user checks.

Prepare now for RDD attacks. Although risks from radioactive sources can be

significantly reduced in coming years, the RDD threat will never be

eliminated. Through public education, training of first responders, and

active planning exercises the impacts of a future RDD attack could be

greatly mitigated.

And,  the following is what we have learned from the IAEA

http://www.iaea.org/worldatom/Press/Focus/RadSources/index.shtml

"What is needed is cradle-to-grave control of powerful radioactive sources

to protect them against terrorism or theft," says IAEA Director General

Mohamed ElBaradei.

"One of our priorities is to assist States in creating and strengthening

national regulatory infrastructures to ensure that these radioactive

sources are appropriately regulated and adequately secured at all times."

Mr. ElBaradei points out that while a number of countries which have

regulatory systems in place are urgently stepping up security measures many

countries lack the resources or the national structures to effectively

control radioactive sources.

However the same article also mention:

The radioactive materials needed to build a "dirty bomb" can be found in

almost any country in the world, and more than 100 countries may have

inadequate control and monitoring programs necessary to prevent or even

detect the theft of these materials.

Dear colleagues

The main problem is:

About 50% of those 100 countries do not are IAEA Member States - How to

control them?

Taking into account that 134 countries are IAEA Member States, the rest of

50% represent about 40% of countries IAEA Member States that also have

inadequate control.

What is the strategy urgently necessary to be implemented to improve

control, in both cases, if we think that a radioactive source, for large

impact, used in  dirty bomb can be found today?

Jose Julio Rozental

Joseroze@netvision.net.il

Brazil, until January 26