Re: need for HPs

In a message dated 1/23/2003 12:47:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, psg_allez@YAHOO.COM writes:

I'm looking into the possibility of working
in Health Physics. I have work to complete on my
Physics degree. What advice would you and others
working in the industry on this list offer? ~~ aside
from the finish your schooling ASAP~~~

Well, I guess now is the time to put in my plug.  I have learned a great deal, and had a plethora of experiences as a result of working for governmental regulatory agencies.  From commercial power plants to crematory ovens from airlines to rare earth mines, I have inspected them all, and my involvement has run the gamut from "swinging meters," to modeling dose to being questioned in a hearing by none other than one of OJ's attorneys, Mr. Robert Shapiro.

The great thing about government work is it can be what you make it.  The pay won't be as great as the commercial side, but if you are hard-working and self-motivated, you will find a wide variety of opportunities await.  The NRC is generally always hiring, and the U.S. now has 32 Agreement States (covering 75% of the radioactive materials licensees in the country), which all require HP expertise on board.  My personal preference would be to pick one of the larger states to get that variety I'm talking about (California, Florida, New York or Texas, e.g.).  That's my pitch.  I'm with the government, and I'm here to help.  :-)

Barbara L. Hamrick