Re: HP government work

In a message dated 1/25/2003 8:03:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, cofer@NETTALLY.COM writes:

As a representative of my state and as a volunteer with the Conference of
Radiation Control Program Directors (CRCPD), I have been able to contribute
to the development and revision of radiation control regulations.

Ooo!  I forgot this wonderful aspect of the job.  I have also served on committees with the CRCPD, as well as on IMPEP teams throughout the country.  The IMPEP program is the NRC program responsible for oversight of Agreement States and NRC Regions.  I have visited the fine states of Mississippi, Tennessee and New York so far, and learned a great deal about the variation in implementation of state radiation protection programs.  It is a wonderful opportunity to share knowledge and experience.  The experience provides insight into different HP perspectives and priorities, as well as an overview of the variations in regulatory law.

For either recent graduates, or for those with comparable, documented experience, I honestly believe government experience can open a lot of avenues and provide an entirely different perspective on what health physics is about simply because of the wide-ranging situations one encounters in an agency.

Barbara Hamrick