Re: HP government work

In a message dated 1/26/2003 7:22:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, tedrock@cpcug.org writes:

I've concluded that each type of employment offer special insights and advantages.  And there is particular merit in having some of each.

I think you are absolutely correct!  I am just advocating government work as a "starter" career, because there are so many avenues open once you get your foot in the door, and because most agencies are so over-taxed that if they get a hold of a highly motivated individual, they won't be afraid of throwing a lot of responsibility at him or her right up front.

Much like government legal careers (i.e., DAs and Public Defenders), the government doesn't have the time or resources to baby you or protect you from making some hard decisions - if you take the initiative, and have the talent, you can be on the "front line" in short time - you just won't get paid very well for the effort...

Barbara